Západoslovenské múzeum v Trnave

From the history

You are here

The Museum was established in 1954 as the Regional Museum focusing on local history. In 1955 special departments (science and history) were founded. In the same year the first Almanach of the Regional Museum in Trnava was published. A collector Štefan Parrák started to work in the Museum and his collections formed the basis of historical and ethnographic collections. The first display area was opened for visitors in 1957 (the Exhibition of Ceramics). In 1960 the name was changed to the Western Slovakian Museum.  The first exhibition was opened in 1974 under the title “From the History of Workers´ Movement of the Communist Party” in the district of Trnava, followed by an ethnographic exhibition in 1976.

 

In 2002, the Trnava Self-Governing Region became an administrator of the Museum. At present four buildings are administered by the Museum, three of them are national cultural monuments. In its collection fund the Museum preserves more than 160 000 objects of cultural heritage. Annually, 40 000 domestic and foreign visitors visit the Museum.

Pohľad na klariský kláštor, výrez z kolorovanej veduty Trnavy, 1735
Objekt klariského kláštora, 1912