Západoslovenské múzeum v Trnave

Musicological items

You are here

Musicological collection of the Western Slovakian Museum contains the estate of Mikuláš Schneider Trnavský. Sources and documents of the collection provide a comprehensive picture of the life and work of the composer. A part of the collection includes archival materials of the Church Music Society in Trnava. The estate was provided by the widow Ida, nee Kossaczká and the composer´s sister Mária and processed on a professional level by the Institute of Musicology of the Slovak Academy of Sciences. In 1973 the inheritance property was taken over by the WS museum in Trnava.

The base is music production divided into two parts: the work of M. Schneider Trnavský and the works of foreign authors from the personal archives of the composer. Both parts include the works of sacred and secular music, recordings of literary works of the composer, correspondence, documentary material and a set of photographs.

By the acquisition in 1974 - 1989  the museum obtained to its collections a part of the estate of an organist of the Cathedral of Nicolas - Július Nagy. From this period especially valuable are records and documents pertaining to the restored society from 1928. In addition to archival materials and pieces of music  the museum´s collection contains also items related to the activities of the society  - old musical instruments and movables of the society