Západoslovenské múzeum v Trnave

The Poor Clare Monastery

You are here

There are many interesting and important archaeological sites in Western Slovakia. The oldest evidence of settlement in this area is a fragment of frontal bones from the skull of a Neanderthal woman estimated to be about 45,000 years old found by the river Váh. This exhibition contains remains of prehistoric animals, agricultural tools and cult objects of the Neolithic man, as well as objects from the Bronze Age. Terracotta pottery, coins and a large military camp of the Pác village reflect the Roman period. There are also exhibits which come from the Great Moravian fortified settlements (s

The collection of Chinese and Japanese provenance of objects of applied art comes from a large East Asian collection of the Zichy family. Members of this Hungarian prominent noble family brought individual pieces in the 19th century from their numerous trips to Europe and the Middle and Far East countries. The count Joseph Zichy together with his brother Augustine undertook an extensive expedition from 1875-1876 to the Balkans, North Africa, Ceylon, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, China and Japan. He returned to Voderady through the Mongolian Gobi Desert and Siberia.

In the 90´s of the 20th century the museum received a collection of bells from different localities in Slovakia. The exhibition in which they are displayed has two parts. One part includes bells of the Trnava region. From the 19th century until 1945 there was a bell casting factory of the Fischer´s brothers (the building is preserved at Dohnányho street in Trnava). The exhibition includes the work of a designer Jozef Pozdech from Hrnčiarovce - the inventor of the original bell stand.

The folk costume was an expression of social, ethnic and confessional groups of population. Like the rest of Europe, in Slovakia it got its shape in the second half of the 17th century. It originated and was used in agrarian society and disappeared with the onset of industrialization. Trnava’s costumes were worn in more than 200 villages around the city. No matter how beautiful it is, this is just one of many variants of Slovak folk costumes. Even during World War II there were 75 types of folk costumes in Slovakia.

Already a prehistoric man made utilitarian objects from clay. In Slovakia, the quality pottery clay can be found at a shallow depth. Its extraction provided the material for the manufacture of ordinary cookware, storage containers, tiles, bricks, hives and others. Visitors of the exhibition may compare products of known pottery workshops in Slovakia. Each site is characterized not only by the typical form, but also the decoration.

In the early Middle Ages (11th-12th centuries) there were at least 2 settlements on the present territory on both banks of the Trnávka creek. On the east bank there was a settlement called Saturday (Sobota), which got its name after Saturday's regular markets and on the west bank there was a settlement called Trnava. In the 13th century the whole area was surrounded by the walls and townhouses were built inside the city made of bricks. In the 14th and 15th centuries Trnava belonged to the largest cities in Central Europe. It was visited by several kings.

Trnava is one of the oldest towns in Central Europe. It was the first free royal town in the territory of the present-day Slovakia. This is documented by the deed of privileges of the king Belo IV. from 1238. From the beginning it developed as a typical multinational and multiconfessional Central European town. It was founded at the crossroads of important trade routes and gradually became a centre of trade, guild crafts, education and culture. The rapid expansion of the initial period is proved by numerous preserved Gothic monuments.

For the observance of the strict reclusion Poor Clares could not attend the church, which was a part of the monastery complex from the beginning of building the monastery. The inside choir, attended by nuns during masses was built during renovations of the monastery in the 17th century. It was separated by golden metal bars from the church. From the original parts of the area only rich stucco and relief decorations were preserved signed by the artist Carlo Antonio Neurone and two rows of wooden benches.

Our forefathers accepted Christianity before the arrival of Ss. Cyril and Methodius. During its history Slovakia was multicultural and hetero-confessional. The presented collection “Sacred Relics” contains works of various origins and various artistic and historical values. The idea of exhibition is to show a man from birth to death, as well as to show that learning the history of Christianity should lead to humility, mutual tolerance, understanding and forgiveness. Makers of exhibited artifacts came from various parts of Europe and belonged to different nations and cultures.

Štefan Cyril Parrák (1887 - 1969) was a confectioner and baker from Trnava, enthusiastic admirer of folk art and antiques, who created a large collection of folk, artistic and historical works by his persistent visiting of villages throughout western Slovakia and by shopping of various items. In 1935 his collection was so extensive that he decided to exhibit it in his confectionery. The private Parrák´s museum became one of the sights of Trnava. Later the collection of Š. C. Parrák became the basis of ethnological and historical museum collection fund.

In the exhibition opened in 2007 the museum made available to public a part of collection of the historical fund. This collection includes interior units with contemporary furniture and accessories from the early 18th century to the early 20th century. Rare pieces of furniture supplied by original works of art create a noble interior. The objects come from the mansion of the Zichy´s family whose members collected artistic and valuable objects in their travels through Europe and other parts of the world.

The exhibition is focused on the flora, fauna and inanimate nature of Western Slovakia. Exhibited specimens of animals living in this region are accompanied by photos of plants and plant material. The geological section of the exhibition includes typical rocks and paleontological findings from Western Slovakia